Sunday, April 15, 2007

And the Rains Came...


This morning was a unwanted, but familiar scene. Rain had poured from the sky since yesterday morning. I awoke around 7 a.m., to the sounds of a raging river. Although there is no river, water has been pouring off the mountain on one side of my house.
The people of this town aren't strangers to flooding. Panic and fear set into my heart when I saw what was coming down the mountain. Although it wasn't washing us away, it brought back memories of the July 8, 2001 and the May 2, 2002 floods.
I decided to drive to the nearest convenience store to pick up a few essentials this morning. I then rode through town, slowly, to see what I could see. The creeks were up, and there were patches of water in the roadways. There were some mudslides.The Coney Island Underpass was completely flooded and traffic was being rerouted. WELC AM.FM reported that the Sandy River District was bearing the brunt of this rain. Anyway, here are some photos of what I saw today, including the ones of my house.







No comments: